Basalt plans royal send-off for tourney-bound Longhorns
March 13, 2002
The Basalt High School Lady Longhorns are getting a royal send-off to the Class 3A state basketball tournament.
Last night, the Basalt Town Council declared March 12-18 “Lady Longhorns Week” and presented a proclamation to team members at the council meeting.
The Longhorns beat Pagosa Spring 63-47 last Friday to advance to the eight-team state tourney at Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. It is the Lady Longhorns’ first appearance in the championship in 13 years.
The Longhorns record is 23-1. The team starts play Thursday against Centauri and will leave today to prepare. Before the team’s departure, several events are planned in Basalt.
There will be a student assembly at 11:30 a.m. at the Basalt High School gymnasium. The players, coaches and staff will ride a Basalt firetruck for a parade through downtown, arriving on Midland Avenue at 12:10 p.m. The firetruck will then take the team past the elementary and middle schools.
The team will return to the high school at about 12:30 p.m. and depart on a chartered bus for Colorado Springs. The Basalt Boosters Club is seeking donations to help pay for the chartered bus.
Recommended Stories For You
The Lady Longhorns open tournament play on Thursday at 11:45 a.m.
Meanwhile, the Aspen High boys are also headed to the 3A state tournament today. Aspen faces off with No. 1 seed Denver Christian on Thursday at 8:30 p.m., also at Air Force Academy.
KMTS radio out of Glenwood Springs plans to broadcast all of Basalt’s and Aspen’s tournament games live on the radio. Located at 99.1 on the FM dial throughout the valley, commentators Ron Milhorn and Jack Jabbour will be calling the action live, as it happens, throughout the weekend, win or lose.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Vail’s Lindsey Vonn hurts knee: No surgery, but she’ll miss Lake Louise
- James Aldridge, wife Lindsey, take over Aspen High School girls basketball
- U.S. Grand Prix halfpipe competition set for Dec 5-8 at Copper Mountain
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Private club executive at Snowmass cited for harassing text messages
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner
- Snow, ski pass war and new Limelight expected to boost Aspen-Snowmass