Basalt golfers win twin titles
August 29, 2013
The Basalt High School golf team brought home the hardware.
The Longhorns, for the first time in recent play, won back-to-back tournament titles.
The Basalt boys won the Delta Invite at Devil's Thumb in Delta on Tuesday — in a playoff.
One day later, the Longhorns of coach Al Rakowski won the Montrose Invite at Cobble Creek — in a playoff.
"We're bringing home two nice plaques for the school," Rakowsi said. "We're pretty excited. The kids were very supportive of each other."
He said the Longhorns started the double with a medalist round from Tristan Rohrbaugh, who shot a 1-under 71 at Delta. Peter Steckler added a 77 for the BHS golf team. Roger Gauthier added an 82 to give the Longhorns a 230 and a tie with Rifle.
Recommended Stories For You
On the first team playoff hole, Gauthier dropped a birdie after a long drive. Rohrbaugh and Stekler added pars.
"We won immediately on the first playoff hole," Rakowski said. "And then (Thursday), we won in a playoff again. In my four years, we finally pulled it off."
On Thursday, Rohrbaugh again led the field and won medalist honors with a 69, 3-under par.
Steckler, who is a student at Glenwood Springs but plays golf for the Longhorns because the Demons don't field a golf team, shot a 74.
Nick Calabro added a 79 to give the Longhrons a 222 and a tie with Durango.
After each team parred the opening hole of the playoff, the Longhorns added steady pars from Rohrbaugh and Steckler on the second playoff hole.
"Nick, on a long par 5 … it's listed on the card at 523 yards … hit a driver and 9-iron to the green, and he putted for eagle from about 20 feet. He ended with a birdie, and we won on that second hole," Rakowski said.
Eighteen teams competed at Montrose, including Class 4A Durango and several 5A schools from the Grand Junction area.
The Basalt golf team will follow its historic double when the Longhorns play at Vail on Tuesday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche