Basalt golfers swing into new season
August 8, 2013
The Basalt High School golf team is ready to roll.
Actually, the Basalt High School golf team is now a combined team featuring additional players from Glenwood Springs and Roaring Fork high schools.
Those two schools no longer field boys golf teams.
The Basalt program, led by veteran coach Al Rakowski, will include the other regional players in addition to the homegrown Longhorns.
"We lost two good players from last year," Rakowski said. "But I'm feeling like we can be competitive again."
Rakowski said the younger players will have an opportunity to step in this season.
Recommended Stories For You
"I think some of the talent will fill those shoes," Rakowski said.
He said three Longhorns return to anchor the boys team this year.
They are led by senior Tristan Rohrbaugh, along with Nick Calabro and Peter Steckler.
The other positions on the Basalt team were scheduled to be determined in a playoff on Wednesday evening.
The varsity BHS golfers will head to Battlement Mesa, near Parachute, for today's first prep tournament of the season. They will play 18 holes with a shotgun start set for 8 a.m.
The Longhorns will play in four tournaments next week before school starts in the Roaring Fork Valley.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- AVSC’s Hanna Faulhaber making a name for herself after Revolution Tour win
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain