Basalt golfers swing into new season
August 8, 2013
The Basalt High School golf team is ready to roll.
Actually, the Basalt High School golf team is now a combined team featuring additional players from Glenwood Springs and Roaring Fork high schools.
Those two schools no longer field boys golf teams.
The Basalt program, led by veteran coach Al Rakowski, will include the other regional players in addition to the homegrown Longhorns.
"We lost two good players from last year," Rakowski said. "But I'm feeling like we can be competitive again."
Rakowski said the younger players will have an opportunity to step in this season.
Recommended Stories For You
"I think some of the talent will fill those shoes," Rakowski said.
He said three Longhorns return to anchor the boys team this year.
They are led by senior Tristan Rohrbaugh, along with Nick Calabro and Peter Steckler.
The other positions on the Basalt team were scheduled to be determined in a playoff on Wednesday evening.
The varsity BHS golfers will head to Battlement Mesa, near Parachute, for today's first prep tournament of the season. They will play 18 holes with a shotgun start set for 8 a.m.
The Longhorns will play in four tournaments next week before school starts in the Roaring Fork Valley.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner