Basalt golfers swing into new season
August 8, 2013
The Basalt High School golf team is ready to roll.
Actually, the Basalt High School golf team is now a combined team featuring additional players from Glenwood Springs and Roaring Fork high schools.
Those two schools no longer field boys golf teams.
The Basalt program, led by veteran coach Al Rakowski, will include the other regional players in addition to the homegrown Longhorns.
"We lost two good players from last year," Rakowski said. "But I'm feeling like we can be competitive again."
Rakowski said the younger players will have an opportunity to step in this season.
Recommended Stories For You
"I think some of the talent will fill those shoes," Rakowski said.
He said three Longhorns return to anchor the boys team this year.
They are led by senior Tristan Rohrbaugh, along with Nick Calabro and Peter Steckler.
The other positions on the Basalt team were scheduled to be determined in a playoff on Wednesday evening.
The varsity BHS golfers will head to Battlement Mesa, near Parachute, for today's first prep tournament of the season. They will play 18 holes with a shotgun start set for 8 a.m.
The Longhorns will play in four tournaments next week before school starts in the Roaring Fork Valley.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen football wraps up non-league play at Grand Valley, BHS at Paonia
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility