Basalt girls basketball beats Rifle for second win of season; boys fall
January 30, 2019
BASALT GIRLS 53, RIFLE 32
The Basalt High School girls basketball team won its second game of the season on Tuesday in a 53-32 victory at Rifle. The Bears led 18-15 after a quarter, but the Longhorns dominated the second to the tune of 21-3 and led 36-21 at halftime.
The BHS defense held the Bears to 11 points in the second half for the non-league win.
Rifle fell to 4-12 overall. Basalt improved to 2-13 overall and will jump back into 3A Western Slope League play on Friday with a trip to Roaring Fork.
RIFLE BOYS 58, BASALT 24
In the boys’ game, Rifle cruised to a 58-24 win over Basalt. Rifle, playing without senior guard Omar Chavez, got a career-high 20 points from junior Carter Pressler. Rifle led 22-14 at halftime.
Recommended Stories For You
The Bears improved to 11-6 overall, while the Longhorns fell to 3-12 overall. After traveling to Carbondale on Friday, Basalt is scheduled to host Grand Valley on Saturday.
The Aspen High School girls basketball team is off until hosting Summit on Thursday night. The boys don’t play until Saturday against Moffat County.
Glenwood Springs Post Independent sports editor Josh Carney contributed to this report.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen High skiers head to Purgatory hoping to defend state championships
- State skiing: Aspen High’s Levyn Thomas wins girls giant slalom title on Day 1
- Mikaela Shiffrin locks up another slalom title with 14th World Cup win of season
- Briefs Feb. 19: AHS hockey loses to Kent, Delta too much in basketball
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Playoffs are here, although with a heavy heart