Basalt High football makes easy work of Roaring Fork on senior night, wins 60-6
October 27, 2017
The Basalt High School football team made easy work of visiting Roaring Fork on Friday, winning 60-6 on senior night. BHS (8-1 overall) had already wrapped up the Class 2A Western Slope League title after last week's 47-0 rout of Moffat County.
The win over the Rams simply put the final stamp on an undefeated league season. Roaring Fork finishes the season with an 0-9 record.
"A lot of credit needs to be given to Roaring Fork, the kids and the coaching staff, just for persevering, having a really young team and making it through the season," Basalt coach Carl Frerichs said. "The cool thing for us was every kid got in. So every kid on the roster got in and played tonight."
Behind another monster game from senior running back Noah Williams, Basalt was able to obtain the necessary 40-point lead and get the running clock going early in the second quarter. From there, the backups were given the chance to do the rest.
As the league champions and safely in the top 16 in RPI, Basalt is set to host a playoff game for the second straight season next Saturday. The 2A playoff brackets will be announced on Sunday.
"As Oswaldo (Morales) said after the game, everyone is 0-0 now," Frerichs said, referring to his senior lineman. "It's win or go home. We are excited to start that second part of the season."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)