Basalt football chasing elusive win at Grand Valley
September 18, 2014
The Longhorns will take their chase for victory to Parachute tonight.
The Basalt High School football team (0-3) will seek out its first win of the season on the road trip to Grand Valley (0-3) for tonight's nonconference game (7 p.m.).
The Longhorns, who faced resurgent 3A Eagle Valley last weekend, will take on a 1A opponent in the Grand Valley Cardinals, who just dropped down in classification because of declining enrollment.
The Cardinals, who lost the season-opener in Aspen 41-7, also are looking for their first win of the season. Grand Valley lost 39-20 at Roaring Fork in Week 2 before a 27-7 loss to Coal Ridge last weekend.
Basalt opened the season with a tough 17-10 loss to Cedaredge, when the unbeaten Bruins scored late. Cedaredge went on to beat Aspen 14-12 last weekend.
Basalt made the long trip to Center for a 26-14 loss to the Vikings in Week 2.
Recommended Stories For You
The Longhorns dropped a 34-9 decision to Eagle Valley's Devils last weekend.
The Aspen High School football team has a bye this week. The Skiers started the year with a zero-week loss at Montezuma-Cortez before back-to-back wins over Grand Valley and Steamboat Springs before the two-point loss to Cedaredge last weekend.
Aspen students are away on a variety of experiential education trips this week.
The Skiers will return to action Sept. 26 at Roaring Fork in Carbondale, the first game of the Western Slope North League season.
In other regional games tonight (Friday, Sept. 19), Roaring Fork (1-2) will play at Gunnison (2-1).
Coal Ridge (2-1) will play at Olathe (2-1).
Eagle Valley (3-0) will play at unbeaten Rifle (3-0) in a 3A showdown.
Glenwood Springs (1-2) will play Grand Junction Central (1-2) at Stocker Stadium in Grand Junction.
Center (2-1) will travel to Cedaredge (3-0). Steamboat Springs (2-1) will play at Delta (2-1).
Cedaredge will host Hotchkiss (1-3) in a 1A conference game next week — Friday, Sept. 26.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche