Basalt football chasing elusive win at Grand Valley
September 18, 2014
The Longhorns will take their chase for victory to Parachute tonight.
The Basalt High School football team (0-3) will seek out its first win of the season on the road trip to Grand Valley (0-3) for tonight's nonconference game (7 p.m.).
The Longhorns, who faced resurgent 3A Eagle Valley last weekend, will take on a 1A opponent in the Grand Valley Cardinals, who just dropped down in classification because of declining enrollment.
The Cardinals, who lost the season-opener in Aspen 41-7, also are looking for their first win of the season. Grand Valley lost 39-20 at Roaring Fork in Week 2 before a 27-7 loss to Coal Ridge last weekend.
Basalt opened the season with a tough 17-10 loss to Cedaredge, when the unbeaten Bruins scored late. Cedaredge went on to beat Aspen 14-12 last weekend.
Basalt made the long trip to Center for a 26-14 loss to the Vikings in Week 2.
Recommended Stories For You
The Longhorns dropped a 34-9 decision to Eagle Valley's Devils last weekend.
The Aspen High School football team has a bye this week. The Skiers started the year with a zero-week loss at Montezuma-Cortez before back-to-back wins over Grand Valley and Steamboat Springs before the two-point loss to Cedaredge last weekend.
Aspen students are away on a variety of experiential education trips this week.
The Skiers will return to action Sept. 26 at Roaring Fork in Carbondale, the first game of the Western Slope North League season.
In other regional games tonight (Friday, Sept. 19), Roaring Fork (1-2) will play at Gunnison (2-1).
Coal Ridge (2-1) will play at Olathe (2-1).
Eagle Valley (3-0) will play at unbeaten Rifle (3-0) in a 3A showdown.
Glenwood Springs (1-2) will play Grand Junction Central (1-2) at Stocker Stadium in Grand Junction.
Center (2-1) will travel to Cedaredge (3-0). Steamboat Springs (2-1) will play at Delta (2-1).
Cedaredge will host Hotchkiss (1-3) in a 1A conference game next week — Friday, Sept. 26.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance