Basalt boys help rival Aspen with win
February 18, 2002
The Basalt High boys basketball squad toppled a top league rival Friday – helping a valley rival in the process – to end its regular season with a 7-12 record.
The Longhorns hosted Eagle Valley, a team that going in was tied for second place in 3A Western Slope play with Aspen and Hotchkiss. Basalt topped the Devils 40-37, knocking them out of the race for the second spot.
The Longhorns built an early lead Friday night, ending the first quarter 8-4. Though Eagle Valley tied the game at 27 in the third quarter, coach Mike Green said Basalt was able to contain the Devils’ leading scorers and keep Eagle Valley shooters from breaking into double digits.
Eagle Valley is now 6-3 in league and 13-5 overall.
The Longhorns hosted 2A West Grand on Saturday for their last game of the season before district tournaments begin on Feb. 26. The game was a close one, Green said, and the teams were tied with just 19 seconds left to play; a last-second foul by Basalt put West Grand on the free-throw line, and Basalt lost 46-44.
“We did exactly what we wanted – it was a good game all around, and I thought our kids did pretty good out there,” Green said.
Recommended Stories For You
Now that BHS has finished its regular season, the team must wait a week as the rest of the league finishes the last few games remaining before district tourneys. As the Longhorns stand now, Green said he expected the team to be seeded at least eighth for the tournament, though exact placings will not be determined until next weekend.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday