Basalt boys basketball pushes 4A Delta
December 12, 2014
The Basalt Longhorns hit the road for their season opener in basketball.
And the Class 3A Basalt High School boys team pushed Class 4A Delta to the limit 45-43 in the game played at Delta High School.
"It was a really good ball game," Basalt head coach Danny Martinez said of the opener. "We started slow in the first quarter, first game and all."
But, he said, the Longhorns battled back in spite of a size disadvantage against the taller Panthers.
Defense, Martinez said, got the Longhorns back into the game.
"Defense did it," the second-year head coach said. "We did a great job on defense."
Recommended Stories For You
Mixing in a bit of pressing defense, Basalt went on to take a one-point halftime lead at 25-24. They extended the lead to nine points before the Panthers wore them down, Martinez said.
"There was some fatigue there. And they were huge … 6-6 like huge," the Basalt head coach said.
Basalt also had difficulty finishing shots in the Delta gym.
"We took good shots, but nothing would roll in," Martinez said.
Mike Glenn had a double-double for Basalt in the opener. The sophomore had 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Noah Schoenberger added eight points, and Adrian Lujan scored six. Ben Holland added five points.
"We were the attacker on defense. That was fun to see," Martinez said, adding that the intensity at practice after the game at Delta was higher.
"They are starting to see what we're all about," Martinez said.
The Basalt boys (0-1) will host Cedaredge on Tuesday in the home opener at the Big House.
The girls varsity game will kick off the action in Basalt on Tuesday. The Basalt girls (0-1) opened the season with a 69-25 loss at Delta.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday