Basalt boys basketball pushes 4A Delta
December 12, 2014
The Basalt Longhorns hit the road for their season opener in basketball.
And the Class 3A Basalt High School boys team pushed Class 4A Delta to the limit 45-43 in the game played at Delta High School.
"It was a really good ball game," Basalt head coach Danny Martinez said of the opener. "We started slow in the first quarter, first game and all."
But, he said, the Longhorns battled back in spite of a size disadvantage against the taller Panthers.
Defense, Martinez said, got the Longhorns back into the game.
"Defense did it," the second-year head coach said. "We did a great job on defense."
Recommended Stories For You
Mixing in a bit of pressing defense, Basalt went on to take a one-point halftime lead at 25-24. They extended the lead to nine points before the Panthers wore them down, Martinez said.
"There was some fatigue there. And they were huge … 6-6 like huge," the Basalt head coach said.
Basalt also had difficulty finishing shots in the Delta gym.
"We took good shots, but nothing would roll in," Martinez said.
Mike Glenn had a double-double for Basalt in the opener. The sophomore had 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Noah Schoenberger added eight points, and Adrian Lujan scored six. Ben Holland added five points.
"We were the attacker on defense. That was fun to see," Martinez said, adding that the intensity at practice after the game at Delta was higher.
"They are starting to see what we're all about," Martinez said.
The Basalt boys (0-1) will host Cedaredge on Tuesday in the home opener at the Big House.
The girls varsity game will kick off the action in Basalt on Tuesday. The Basalt girls (0-1) opened the season with a 69-25 loss at Delta.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division