Basalt blanks Roaring Fork 7-0
April 15, 2002
The Basalt High School girls soccer team shut out Carbondale’s Roaring Fork High 7-0 Saturday afternoon in Basalt.
BHS junior Mariah Mulcahy notched the first goal, her first of two on the day, assisted by senior Molly McGrath. McGrath twined two goals of her own later, and Meghan Stewart, Brittany Pollock, Stephanie Kemp also scored.
The Longhorns improved to 7-1 with the win.
BHS coach Heather Walker noted that Roaring Fork did a good job in limiting the damage.
“We had over 40 shots,” Walker reported. “Their goalie played an excellent game and made some amazing saves.”
The BHS defense made a few great saves of their own, Walker said.
Recommended Stories For You
“We were trying to have a shutout, and our defense played great,” she said.
Next up, BHS hosts rival Aspen High School on Tuesday for the first of two games scheduled for the season. The matchup should prove interesting, Walker said, as the teams begin jockeying for playoff spots.
“They’re one of the other contenders for the three spots going to states,” she said. “You want to make sure you’re the one on top for a better playoff game.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Aspen man, 78, finally completes the Continental Divide Trail after 35 years
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility