Basalt blanks Roaring Fork 7-0
April 15, 2002
The Basalt High School girls soccer team shut out Carbondale’s Roaring Fork High 7-0 Saturday afternoon in Basalt.
BHS junior Mariah Mulcahy notched the first goal, her first of two on the day, assisted by senior Molly McGrath. McGrath twined two goals of her own later, and Meghan Stewart, Brittany Pollock, Stephanie Kemp also scored.
The Longhorns improved to 7-1 with the win.
BHS coach Heather Walker noted that Roaring Fork did a good job in limiting the damage.
“We had over 40 shots,” Walker reported. “Their goalie played an excellent game and made some amazing saves.”
The BHS defense made a few great saves of their own, Walker said.
Recommended Stories For You
“We were trying to have a shutout, and our defense played great,” she said.
Next up, BHS hosts rival Aspen High School on Tuesday for the first of two games scheduled for the season. The matchup should prove interesting, Walker said, as the teams begin jockeying for playoff spots.
“They’re one of the other contenders for the three spots going to states,” she said. “You want to make sure you’re the one on top for a better playoff game.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day