Basalt, Bayfield football to play at 11 a.m. Saturday in Class 2A quarterfinals
November 6, 2017
The Basalt High School football team's Class 2A quarterfinal game at Bayfield has been scheduled for 11 a.m. on Saturday.
Bayfield (10-0), located about 20 miles east of Durango, is the tournament's No. 3 seed. The undefeated Wolverines beat No. 14 seed Elizabeth in the first round, 51-0.
No. 6 seed Basalt (9-1) beat No. 11 seed Salida (7-3) in the first round on Saturday, winning 28-22 in Basalt. It was the first 2A playoff win in school history for the Longhorns, and first playoff win since winning a 1A playoff game in 1979.
The Basalt-Bayfield winner would play either No. 7 Faith Christian or No. 15 Resurrection Christian in the state semifinals.
Bayfield won the 2A state championship as recently as 2015. The Wolverines went 9-3 in 2016, losing by a point to eventual state champion La Junta in the 2A semifinals.
Recommended Stories For You
Basalt and Bayfield last played each other in 2013, when they were in the same league. Bayfield won that matchup, 8-6, a year in which neither team made the playoffs. They also played in 2012, a 42-0 Bayfield win. The Wolverines made the state semifinals that season.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art