Basalt, Bayfield football to play at 11 a.m. Saturday in Class 2A quarterfinals
November 6, 2017
The Basalt High School football team's Class 2A quarterfinal game at Bayfield has been scheduled for 11 a.m. on Saturday.
Bayfield (10-0), located about 20 miles east of Durango, is the tournament's No. 3 seed. The undefeated Wolverines beat No. 14 seed Elizabeth in the first round, 51-0.
No. 6 seed Basalt (9-1) beat No. 11 seed Salida (7-3) in the first round on Saturday, winning 28-22 in Basalt. It was the first 2A playoff win in school history for the Longhorns, and first playoff win since winning a 1A playoff game in 1979.
The Basalt-Bayfield winner would play either No. 7 Faith Christian or No. 15 Resurrection Christian in the state semifinals.
Bayfield won the 2A state championship as recently as 2015. The Wolverines went 9-3 in 2016, losing by a point to eventual state champion La Junta in the 2A semifinals.
Recommended Stories For You
Basalt and Bayfield last played each other in 2013, when they were in the same league. Bayfield won that matchup, 8-6, a year in which neither team made the playoffs. They also played in 2012, a 42-0 Bayfield win. The Wolverines made the state semifinals that season.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman