Basalt basketball finishes strong in La Jara; Aspen girls go 0-3 in Meeker
December 3, 2016
The Basalt High School boys basketball team quickly put a rough start behind it.
The Longhorns opened the season Thursday with a 72-59 loss to Del Norte in the first round of a tournament hosted by Centauri High School in La Jara.
However, Basalt rebounded with an 82-27 win over Olathe on Friday and an 82-12 win over Center on Saturday.
According to MaxPreps, BHS senior Michael Glen averaged 22 points and 10.3 rebounds per game over the three contests. Junior Justin Henderson averaged 15.3 points per game and junior Raul Torres 10.3 points per game.
The Basalt girls basketball team, also playing a three-day tournament in La Jara, went 1-2. The Longhorns lost 67-34 to Del Norte on Thursday and lost 53-28 to Sargent on Friday before getting their first win Saturday, 72-46, over Las Animas.
Both Basalt teams are next scheduled to play at Delta on Thursday before hosting Vail Christian on Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen High School girls basketball team went 0-3 over the weekend at a season-opening tournament in Meeker. The Skiers lost 52-32 to Meeker, 35-34 to Nucla, and 42-30 to the Mesa Ridge junior varsity team. Mesa Ridge's varsity program is a powerhouse in Class 4A. The Aspen girls are next scheduled to play at Roaring Fork on Dec. 13. The Aspen boys open their season Thursday with a tournament, also in Meeker.
On Saturday, the Aspen hockey team lost 4-0 to Battle Mountain in Eagle, dropping to 0-2 on the season.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow