Basalt adds two more victories to softball total
September 17, 2013
Add two more wins for the Basalt High School softball team.
The Longhorns hit the road and swept a doubleheader from Cedaredge on Monday night, improving to 7-3 overall and 3-0 in the league standings.
"This is a huge step toware winning the league and hosting a playoff game," Basalt coach Colin Young said after the Longhorns beat Cedaredge 6-4 and 6-3. "To get this sweep is huge."
In the opener, Basalt outhit Cedaredge 12-9 to back the pitching of Brittany Discoll.
“To get this sweep is huge.”
Colin Young, Basalt softball coach
Recommended Stories For You
Driscoll, who also homered for Basalt, pitched a complete game, striking out six and walking none.
Jordan Decrow went 4-for-4 while teammate Bailey Strobel had three hits and drove in three runs in her first game batting in the cleanup spot.
Kaity Johnson doubled,and Morgan Young went 2-for-3.
"The player of the game had to be Hunter Ash," Young said. "We played her in the flex position, and she didn't hit. But she made four ESPN highlight plays at second base. She robbed them."
In the second game, Basalt overcame five errors to win the 6-3 decision.
Morgan Young pitched a complete game in her first time back in the circle since suffering a concussion.
She struck out three and walked only one.
"Her ball-to-stike ratio was good. She really kept them off balance," Colin Young said.
Morgan Young also had two hits in the second game. Johnson added another RBI double.
Strobel added two hits for the Longhorns.
Kaity Johnson made a game-saving catch of a line drive in left field, according to Young.
"She was falling down, and she made the catch in the bottom of the seventh," Young said. "That probably was a triple if she didn't catch it."
The Longhorns will return to action next Monday with two games in Arvada. They are scheduled to play Peak to Peak a 2 p.m. and Faith Christian at 4 p.m.
Basalt will return to league play with a game against Grand Valley on Sept. 26 in Basalt.
The Longhorns will host Montrose in a doubleheader on Sept. 27.
After a trip to Gunnison on Sept. 28, Basalt will host rival Aspen on Tuesday, Oct. 2.
The final regular-season game will be Oct. 3 at Rifle.
The Class 3A Regionals for softball will be held Oct. 12.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Shiffrin scales back schedule to avoid more fatigue, to skip upcoming downhills
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Friends support local furloughed Forest Service worker whose son was born with cystic fibrosis