Basalt adds two more victories to softball total
September 17, 2013
Add two more wins for the Basalt High School softball team.
The Longhorns hit the road and swept a doubleheader from Cedaredge on Monday night, improving to 7-3 overall and 3-0 in the league standings.
"This is a huge step toware winning the league and hosting a playoff game," Basalt coach Colin Young said after the Longhorns beat Cedaredge 6-4 and 6-3. "To get this sweep is huge."
In the opener, Basalt outhit Cedaredge 12-9 to back the pitching of Brittany Discoll.
“To get this sweep is huge.”
Colin Young, Basalt softball coach
Recommended Stories For You
Driscoll, who also homered for Basalt, pitched a complete game, striking out six and walking none.
Jordan Decrow went 4-for-4 while teammate Bailey Strobel had three hits and drove in three runs in her first game batting in the cleanup spot.
Kaity Johnson doubled,and Morgan Young went 2-for-3.
"The player of the game had to be Hunter Ash," Young said. "We played her in the flex position, and she didn't hit. But she made four ESPN highlight plays at second base. She robbed them."
In the second game, Basalt overcame five errors to win the 6-3 decision.
Morgan Young pitched a complete game in her first time back in the circle since suffering a concussion.
She struck out three and walked only one.
"Her ball-to-stike ratio was good. She really kept them off balance," Colin Young said.
Morgan Young also had two hits in the second game. Johnson added another RBI double.
Strobel added two hits for the Longhorns.
Kaity Johnson made a game-saving catch of a line drive in left field, according to Young.
"She was falling down, and she made the catch in the bottom of the seventh," Young said. "That probably was a triple if she didn't catch it."
The Longhorns will return to action next Monday with two games in Arvada. They are scheduled to play Peak to Peak a 2 p.m. and Faith Christian at 4 p.m.
Basalt will return to league play with a game against Grand Valley on Sept. 26 in Basalt.
The Longhorns will host Montrose in a doubleheader on Sept. 27.
After a trip to Gunnison on Sept. 28, Basalt will host rival Aspen on Tuesday, Oct. 2.
The final regular-season game will be Oct. 3 at Rifle.
The Class 3A Regionals for softball will be held Oct. 12.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Explosive Platte Valley too much for Basalt football in 2A quarterfinals
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million