Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard Club wraps up annual camp at Buttermilk
June 28, 2018
Winter finds a way to endure when you live in the mountains and can't get enough of the white stuff. For the sixth year, the Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard Club hosted its Buttermilk Glacier Summer Snow Sessions, which allowed athletes to train on real snow despite the 80-degree June temperatures in the valley.
"It was a really successful camp," said AVSC freestyle program director Eric Knight, who runs the camps. "We had a record number of athletes and got the whole four weeks in."
The camp, which concluded this week with its fourth and final session of the summer, is held on the X Games Aspen superpipe at Buttermilk Ski Area. By packing the pipe with the season's leftover snow, the AVSC crew is able to create a "glacier" that holds well into the summer and allows for extended training.
"It held up excellent," Knight said of the snow. "We have a pretty good formula where if we fill the pipe up over the top with snow it will last for a month."
Most of the training is limited to a single jump into a large airbag, and occasionally the AVSC will put in a few rails or other small features to practice on. It's a cheap, local option as opposed to the long drives and steep costs that come with similar camps at places like Mount Hood in Oregon and Mammoth Mountain in California.
"The camps kind of deliver a chance for everyone to get some summer training and at a low cost," Knight said. "We had about 60 different kids come through, and a total of about 90 weekly campers."
Recommended Stories For You
Many of the AVSC athletes will get back on snow later this summer, but they'll have to travel well out of the Rockies to find it, including out of the country to places like Argentina and New Zealand.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director