AVSC skier wins scholarship
July 14, 2012
ASPEN – After a season replete with impressive results that propelled him to the top national ranking in his age group, Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard Club skier Sky Kelsey recently was awarded the “Fast Skier” Junior Alpine Scholarship.
The prize, doled out by Ski Racing Development, World Cup Supply and Shred Optics, is worth $1,500. Kelsey was selected because of race successes and other distinguishing characteristics, chief among them academic achievement and community involvement.
“Sky has worked hard to achieve his results over the past year and has other interests and skills that make him a well-rounded athlete,” club Alpine Director Greg Needell said in a statement. “He plays numerous instruments and gets great grades. He might be a better musician than skier, and that is hard to believe. Somehow, he also manages to be polite and humble.”
This past winter, Kelsey entered the J3 Rocky/Central Division Junior Nationals as the RMD’s top seed and did not disappoint. The 15-year-old won the downhill and super G and finished second in slalom and third in giant slalom en route to capturing the overall title.
He then went to the National U16 Assessment in Park City, Utah, where he won the dual GS, the Skills Quest competition and took second in the slalom.
“Year after year, the quality of applicants reinforce the growing significance of this scholarship,” said Barry Levinson of SRD. “We have never heard such glowing and positive recommendations from both coaches and others outside of the ski racing community. Sky’s passion for the sport, sportsmanship and dedication as well as his scholastic and musical talents made him a natural for this year’s award.”
Recommended Stories For You
Kelsey emerged from an applicant pool of 56 from across the country.
“He has a clear passion for and understanding of his place in the sport that is well beyond his years,” WCS’ Brad Williams said. “Sky is a role model for all young athletes to look up to.”
Visit junioralpinescholarship.com for more information about the honor.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River