AVSC alumnus Chris Corning wins Milan Big Air men’s snowboard competition
November 12, 2017
Silverthorne's Chris Corning, a former Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard club athlete, got his World Cup season off to a strong start Saturday by winning the men's snowboard big air contest at Milan Big Air in Italy. It was his first career big air World Cup victory.
Corning had a two-run combined score of 182.75, scoring a contest-best 93.25 on his second of three runs in the 51-rider field. His runs included a frontside 1440 melon and a backside triple cork 1440 melon.
The United States swept the men's podium, with fellow Summit County rider Red Gerard taking second with a score of 163 and Michigan's Kyle Mack taking third with 161.5.
Austria's Anna Gasser took the women's snowboard big air title for the second straight year.
Corning joined the U.S. Snowboard pro slopestyle team in 2016 and is coming off what could be considered a breakthrough 2016-17 season. He'll be among the favorites to earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic team for both slopestyle and big air when the Pyeongchang Games get underway in February. Snowboard big air will be making its Olympic debut in South Korea.
The next scheduled World Cup big air event is the Air+Style competition on Nov. 24 and 25 in Beijing, China.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director