Austrian wins back-to-back downhills
December 29, 2006
Aspen, CO Colorado
BORMIO, Italy ” Austria’s Michael Walchhofer won a World Cup downhill race for the second consecutive day on Friday.
A day after snapping a 13-race winless streak for the Austrian men’s team, Walchhofer skied down the 1.8-mile Stelvio course in 1 minute, 51.82 seconds to become the first skier to win back-to-back downhills in Bormio. No other skier had ever won two straight races there, even from one year to the next.
Bode Miller, who failed to finish a downhill for the first time this season on Thursday, took fourth.
“It was a fantastic two days. Now I can start the new year with a lot of self confidence,” Walchhofer said.
Peter Fill of Italy was second, 0.22 seconds behind, and Mario Scheiber of Austria was third for the second straight day, 0.27 behind.
Recommended Stories For You
Didier Cuche of Switzerland was fifth, 0.50 back, to retain his lead atop the downhill standings.
Walchhofer had a near-perfect run but lost time on the bottom portion of the course, where Fill was superb.
Miller was also much faster than Fill at the final split, but couldn’t keep it going.
“Bode just looked tired,” said Steven Nyman, Miller’s American teammate who finished 21st.
“I felt I skied well but I struggled a little with my line entering that last pitch,” Miller said in a news release from the U.S. team.
Miller declined requests for interviews after the event.
Marco Sullivan, another American, finished 12th.
Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway finished sixth and kept his lead in the overall standings. Svindal has 579 points, Miller is second with 540 and Cuche third with 535.
Friday’s downhill was the final event of the year for the men’s circuit. Racing resumes with a giant slalom and slalom in Adelboden, Switzerland, on Jan. 6-7.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border