Aspen’s Trey Robinson wins regional golf title
September 16, 2014
Aspen High School's Trey Robinson saved his best round of golf — ever — for the Class 3A Regional Championships.
Robinson shot a 73 on Tuesday to win medalist honors and lead the Aspen Skiers to the team title at challenging Hillcrest Golf Club overlooking the city of Durango in southwestern Colorado.
"It was just a grind, but I pulled it out," Robinson said in a telephone interview after he was crowned the individual regional champion. "I think it was probably the best round of golf I've ever played."
He said his ability to scramble around the greens saved him Tuesday.
"I had some spectacular up-and-downs," Robinson said. "And my putter was hot. I had three or four putts from outside 15 feet."
Plus, he said, he drained a huge 35-footer to salvage an errant drive on another hole.
Recommended Stories For You
Robinson said he had one birdie and three bogeys on his pressure-packed round at regionals.
"The rest were all pars," Robinson said.
One of the bogeys was a 3-putt; another bogey happend on an up-and-down that didn't, he said.
"The whole team played really well," said Robinson, the son of Suzanne and Rob Robinson. The Skiers defeated the second-place Class 3A team, Vail Christian, by eight strokes.
That means the entire Aspen boys golf team will qualify for the Class 3A State Championships at Pueblo City Park.
Will Hazen added a 78 for Aspen on the Durango course Tuesday.
Burke Daily shot an 88. And Davis Henshel shot a 90 for Aspen's winning score.
"The weather was pretty nice," Robinson said of the light breezes on the Durango municipal golf course, which is located adjacent to Fort Lewis College. "The rain chased up at the end. But we beat it."
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche