Aspen’s Tarbet 2nd at regionals
September 20, 2002
Aspen High senior Scott Tarbet shot a 3-over-par 75 to tie for second place at the 4A Western Regional golf tournament Wednesday at the Haymaker golf course in Steamboat Springs.
The silver-medal finish advances Tarbet to the 4A state championships, set for Sept. 30-Oct. 1 in Denver, for a second-straight year.
“He was in the hunt ?til the 16th hole, when he double bogeyed,” said AHS coach Alden Richards. “But he’s satisfied to be second at the regionals, and, more importantly, to be going to state.”
Steamboat’s Jeff Franks won the event with a 73, while Mike Rusk of Montrose tied with Tarbet at 75. Steamboat also won the team title with a combined three-player score of 229, followed by Rifle (236) in the 20-team field. Aspen was sixth (244) and Basalt was 19th (327).
In the regional format, only the top six individuals and top two teams advance to the 4A state tourney.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Shiffrin scales back schedule to avoid more fatigue, to skip upcoming downhills
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Friends support local furloughed Forest Service worker whose son was born with cystic fibrosis