Aspen’s Tarbet 2nd at regionals
September 20, 2002
Aspen High senior Scott Tarbet shot a 3-over-par 75 to tie for second place at the 4A Western Regional golf tournament Wednesday at the Haymaker golf course in Steamboat Springs.
The silver-medal finish advances Tarbet to the 4A state championships, set for Sept. 30-Oct. 1 in Denver, for a second-straight year.
“He was in the hunt ?til the 16th hole, when he double bogeyed,” said AHS coach Alden Richards. “But he’s satisfied to be second at the regionals, and, more importantly, to be going to state.”
Steamboat’s Jeff Franks won the event with a 73, while Mike Rusk of Montrose tied with Tarbet at 75. Steamboat also won the team title with a combined three-player score of 229, followed by Rifle (236) in the 20-team field. Aspen was sixth (244) and Basalt was 19th (327).
In the regional format, only the top six individuals and top two teams advance to the 4A state tourney.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents
- Business Monday: Tomcich has no reservations about career change