Aspen’s Tarbet 2nd at regionals
September 20, 2002
Aspen High senior Scott Tarbet shot a 3-over-par 75 to tie for second place at the 4A Western Regional golf tournament Wednesday at the Haymaker golf course in Steamboat Springs.
The silver-medal finish advances Tarbet to the 4A state championships, set for Sept. 30-Oct. 1 in Denver, for a second-straight year.
“He was in the hunt ?til the 16th hole, when he double bogeyed,” said AHS coach Alden Richards. “But he’s satisfied to be second at the regionals, and, more importantly, to be going to state.”
Steamboat’s Jeff Franks won the event with a 73, while Mike Rusk of Montrose tied with Tarbet at 75. Steamboat also won the team title with a combined three-player score of 229, followed by Rifle (236) in the 20-team field. Aspen was sixth (244) and Basalt was 19th (327).
In the regional format, only the top six individuals and top two teams advance to the 4A state tourney.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen football wraps up non-league play at Grand Valley, BHS at Paonia
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility