Aspen’s Alex Ilic makes semifinals at No. 2 singles in 4A state tennis tournament
October 12, 2017
Junior Alex Ilic led the way for the Aspen High School boys tennis team on the first day of the Class 4A state tournament on Thursday in Pueblo.
Playing at No. 2 singles, Ilic went 2-0 to become the only Skier to advance to Friday’s semifinal round. He beat Nick Hawk of Pueblo West 6-0, 6-0 in the first round before edging Tanner Jones of Discovery Canyon 7-6, 6-4 in the quarterfinals.
Ilic will play Colorado Academy's Quinn Bermingham in today's semis. Bermingham won 6-0, 6-0 in the first round and 6-4, 6-4 in the second.
Ilic finished fourth at state at No. 3 singles the past two years.
Aspen's No. 1 singles player, senior Dillon Leasure, lost in the first round, a 7-5, 6-3 defeat to George Washington's Dan Guiot. Guiot lost 6-1, 6-1 to Colorado Academy's Richter Jordaan in the quarterfinals.
At No. 3 singles, Aspen senior Gabriel Suarez won 6-2, 6-1 over Pueblo Centennial's Nate Finegold in the first round before falling 6-2, 6-2 to Kent Denver's Sam Nassif in the quarterfinals. Suarez will get to compete in the playback rounds for a shot at third place.
Recommended Stories For You
The Skiers had two of its four doubles teams advance out of the first round before falling in the quarterfinals. The No. 2 doubles team of George Ghali and Christian Kelly won 7-6, 3-6, 7-5 in the first round, but lost 6-2, 3-6, 3-6 in the second. The No. 4 doubles team of Bryce Cordts-Pearce and Lukee Tralins won 7-6, 6-0 before a 6-3, 6-1 loss. Both teams will compete in the playback rounds.
Aspen's No. 1 doubles team of Jonah Kelley and David Zalinksi lost 6-1, 3-6, 3-6 to a team from Evergreen in the first round for a quick exit. The No. 3 doubles team of Dylan DeGraff and Liam Sunkel lost 6-4, 6-3 in the first round.
Play continues Friday at Pueblo City Park, with championship rounds scheduled for Saturday. For complete results, click here.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain