Aspen volleyball shoots self in foot vs. Cedaredge
September 23, 2002
The Aspen High volleyball team dropped a match to Cedaredge Friday night after losing in two sets.
Aspen coach Emily Bakker didn’t have scores available for the match at Cedaredge, but remarked that “the first game was really close, but in the second game, we just made a ton of errors.”
“We haven’t really played a team that’s beaten us. We find a way to beat ourselves,” Bakker continued.
The Skiers’ early season has been marred by serving and hitting errors, she said. Aspen has also been hit hard this month by player illness and injury, Bakker reported, leaving a few holes in the team’s starting lineup.
However, Aspen’s winning 2001 season ? during which the Skiers nabbed a 3A Western Slope League championship and a trip to the state tournament ? began in a similar vein.
“Last year they lost to Cedaredge during the first game of their season in the league and ended up undefeated [during the rest of the season’s league play],” Bakker said.
Recommended Stories For You
Next up, the Skiers face downvalley rival Basalt Tuesday afternoon in their second matchup this season. The teams’ previous meeting on Sept. 13 brought a victory for Aspen, which won the match 15-8 and 15-9. Though the new AHS gymnasium won’t be ready for this home contest, school athletic director Carol Sams is working on securing Aspen’s former stomping grounds for the match: the Skierdome.
The team might be disappointed about its current form, but Bakker said the Skiers’ next game will offer some much-needed transition work on the court.
“We actually won our league game against them, so we can try some new lineups and try to work on our entire group of six out there [on Tuesday],” she said.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border