Aspen tennis swats Delta, improves to 7-0
April 12, 2002
The Aspen High girls tennis team breezed to victory Wednesday at Delta to remain undefeated in head-to-head match play on the season at 7-0.
“We were there an hour and then we were through,” said Aspen coach Sherril Kerr. “We breezed through.”
All four of Aspen’s doubles pairings won easily, including the No. 1 pair of Alex Leddy and Nicole Hernandez, the No. 2 pair of Jacqueline Pearlstone and Brittany Biebl, the No. 3 pair of Courtney Sheeley and Jennifer Leddy and the No. 4 pair of Christina Schulter and Meredith Hanrahan. The four pairs dropped a combined total of seven games.
Freshman Michelle Koehler, a JV regular, filled in for Aspen’s ace, Laura Gordon, at the No. 1 singles spot and lost. “She played a good match, but she was up against [Delta’s] best player,” Kerr said.
Aspen’s regular No. 2 singles player, Melissa Marcus, won easily, while Becca Cote dropped a tough match at No. 3 singles. “She’s struggling a bit. It was just one of those days for her, and we all have them,” Kerr said.
On Saturday, Aspen hosts Durango at 11 a.m. at the Maroon Creek Club.
Recommended Stories For You
“They’re a strong Class 5A team, so this will be a good match,” Kerr said. “I just hope we can say we’re undefeated in head-to-head matches after the weekend.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- With braces on both knees, Lindsey Vonn struggles in first race of season
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday