Aspen tennis comes up short at state tourney
October 14, 2002
A record nine Aspen boys qualified for the Class 4A state tennis in Pueblo, and all nine were bounced in Thursday’s opening round.
“We were just outclassed,” said AHS coach Sherril Kerr. “Some of them played their best matches of the season so not all was lost. They did the best they could with what they had going ? the competition’s pretty tough.”
Cheyenne Mountain won the tourney, it’s 11th-straight state title, while Aspen finished among six other schools that didn’t register on the scoreboard.
“Because of the way the playbacks work, nobody that we played made the finals and that’s got to happen for you to be able to play for third place,” Kerr said.
At No. 3 singles, Aspen’s Cotton Koehler lost 6-2, 6-4 to Joe Kaptur of Colorado Academy; at No. 1 doubles Aspen’s Jeff Erwin and Will Otte lost 6-4, 6-4 to Tim Leitch and Jon Linton of Evergreen; at No. 2 doubles Aspen’s Nick Redmon and Justin Whitney lost 6-0, 6-3 to Josh Tafoya and Jacob Guzman of Pueblo South; at No. 3 doubles Aspen’s David Gull and Knute Gregory lost 6-4, 6-3 to Matt Gaspers and Danny Neumaier of Greeley Central; and at No. 4 doubles Aspen’s Jesse Amory and Alex Wells lost 6-1, 6-0 to Ben Wright and Justin Higley of Niwot.
“We accomplished a lot just by qualifying nine,” Kerr said, “and five of the nine had never played varsity before this year. So you’re dealing with a young, inexperienced team, but I was real proud of the way they competed.
Recommended Stories For You
“The whole weekend wasn’t lost,” Kerr added. “We went bowling and had a great tournament of our own.”
Kerr also thanked her assistant coach Torre, as well as the Maroon Creek Club for use of courts and other support during the season.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche