Aspen starts with 56-0 win over Ignacio
September 1, 2012
ASPEN – Aspen took control of its home opener early, earning its starters a break and its reserves a second look Friday, with a 56-0 win over Ignacio.
“We played really well,” said Skiers head coach Mike Sirko. “They took control early and kept playing hard, and that’s all you can ask.
“A lot of our kids got some great experience, which you don’t always get.”
Junior Casey Hornburg set the tone by scoring on a long run on the opening play, and the Skiers never trailed, giving the starters a rest and Sirko a chance to see some of his younger players.
“It was just nice getting all those young men in, especially after two-a-days,” he said.
The Skiers host Basalt, 1-1 after a loss to Roaring Fork on Friday, next week.
Recommended Stories For You
“It’s always a little pride in the valley, that type of stuff, and I think it’s always going to be. It was an exciting one last year,” Sirko said.
“It’s still a good rivalry. It’ll be exciting.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Season likely over for Basalt’s Torin Yater-Wallace after Dew Tour injury
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7