Aspen spikers end streak for first win
September 24, 2007
For a first win, this sure was memorable.
Aspen’s spikers rallied from a 2-1 deficit Saturday night against Hotchkiss to prevail in five games, ending a season-opening eight-game losing streak and giving Jen Schrock her first win as a varsity coach.
“We just finally brought it all together,” a fired-up Schrock said Saturday night. “Everything we’ve been working on ” attitude, defense, offense ” every little thing came together.”
Both teams traded wins in two close games to open the match, with Hotchkiss taking the first, 25-21, and Aspen taking the second, 25-20. Hotchkiss handled the Skiers in what looked to be a pivotal third game, winning 25-11.
Unlike in previous losses, however, Aspen refused to fold. The Skiers responded with a 25-19 win, forcing the 15-point tiebreaker, then responded again when the finale was knotted at 15.
Junior Elissa Walter led the Skiers in passes with 20, and junior Katy Evens led the way at the front of the net, finishing with 12 kills. Junior Kylie Westerlind also had four aces.
Recommended Stories For You
“It just worked for us,” Schrock said. “We finally know what it’s like to win, and hopefully we’ll keep it coming.”
Aspen gets nearly a full week off before squarinng off at downvalley rival Roarking Fork at 6 p.m. Friday, followed by a home match against Gunnison at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Season likely over for Basalt’s Torin Yater-Wallace after Dew Tour injury
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7