Aspen spikers end streak for first win
September 24, 2007
For a first win, this sure was memorable.
Aspen’s spikers rallied from a 2-1 deficit Saturday night against Hotchkiss to prevail in five games, ending a season-opening eight-game losing streak and giving Jen Schrock her first win as a varsity coach.
“We just finally brought it all together,” a fired-up Schrock said Saturday night. “Everything we’ve been working on ” attitude, defense, offense ” every little thing came together.”
Both teams traded wins in two close games to open the match, with Hotchkiss taking the first, 25-21, and Aspen taking the second, 25-20. Hotchkiss handled the Skiers in what looked to be a pivotal third game, winning 25-11.
Unlike in previous losses, however, Aspen refused to fold. The Skiers responded with a 25-19 win, forcing the 15-point tiebreaker, then responded again when the finale was knotted at 15.
Junior Elissa Walter led the Skiers in passes with 20, and junior Katy Evens led the way at the front of the net, finishing with 12 kills. Junior Kylie Westerlind also had four aces.
Recommended Stories For You
“It just worked for us,” Schrock said. “We finally know what it’s like to win, and hopefully we’ll keep it coming.”
Aspen gets nearly a full week off before squarinng off at downvalley rival Roarking Fork at 6 p.m. Friday, followed by a home match against Gunnison at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman