Aspen soccer advances easily; BHS seeded No. 5
October 21, 2002
Aspen soccer crushed Belleview Christian of Westminster 15-2 Saturday at the AHS field to advance to the round of 16 in the Class 3A state tournament.
Phil Salazar scored a hat trick in the first five minutes as Aspen cruised to the blowout of unheard of proportions. Ten goals came from Aspen understudies as the seniors were benched after posting a 6-0 lead at halftime.
“It was next year’s team for most of it,” said Grant “Junior” Sutherland, who coaches Aspen with John Gillies. “A lot of experience was given to the younger kids, which is great because it usually doesn’t happen this way in the playoffs.”
Coulter Vandomelen and Gabriel Grisolia also scored hat tricks for Aspen, Carlos Rojas scored two and Sam Harder, Scott Wooley, Matt Fox and Rodrigo Charillo scored one apiece.
All eight first-round winners in the Class 3A state tournament, including Aspen, and all eight teams that earned byes in the opening round, including Basalt, were reseeded Sunday morning.
In the revamped round of 16, Basalt (11-3-1) is the No. 5 seed and Aspen (7-7-1) is No. 14. Holy Family (13-1) is the top seed, while Colorado Springs Christian (14-1-1) is No. 2 and Faith Christian (11-2-1) is No. 3.
Recommended Stories For You
Basalt, the Class 3A Western Slope League champions, opens at home against No. 12 Middle Park (6-7-2). The match must be played by Saturday.
Aspen, meanwhile, will travel to Denver Saturday to face No. 3 Faith Christian at 11 a.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- AVSC’s Hanna Faulhaber making a name for herself after Revolution Tour win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain