Aspen Nordic ski trails opening
November 25, 2014
Let's go skiing.
Cross country skiing.
The new ski season is underway for the Aspen Snowmass Nordic Trail System.
"The Aspen Golf Course and the Aspen High School trails have all been groomed," said John Wilkinson of the Aspen Snowmass Nordic Council. "They have all been groomed (by machine) and have both skate and classic lanes open."
The trails are the first in the Nordic system to open this season. There has been some skiing activity for the last two weeks.
Recommended Stories For You
The trails at the Aspen Golf Course, where the Aspen Cross Country Center is located, were groomed Tuesday morning. Both the classic and skating tracks were groomed with additional grooming as snow conditions permit today.
The high school trails also are open with a lot of skier activity, including the junior racers with the Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard Club.
"Also, the Bearnese Boulevard (for taking your dog with you while skiing) is open around the Aspen Golf Course," Wilkinson said. "There will be more trails opening soon due to the excellent early season snowfalls."
Nordic council officials said snow conditions remain thin and variable.
Updated information on the trails in the Aspen Snowmass Nordic System is available online at aspennordic.com.
Other trails in the Aspen area include the Benedict Trial, Iselin/Rotary Trail, Marolt Trail, Maroon Creek Golf Course Trail, Moore Trail, North Star Nature Preserve and Rio Grande Cross Country Trail.
The system, including Snowmass Village and Basalt, features 60 miles of free cross country ski trails.
In addition to the Aspen Cross Country Center at the Aspen Golf Course, there is a Snowmass Cross Country Center at 0446 Clubhouse Drive in Snowmass Village.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents