Aspen Leafs split two games with Salt Lake City
December 11, 2013
The Aspen Leafs men's hockey team split a pair of games against the Salt Lake City Golden Eagles last weekend at the Lewis Ice Arena.
The teams participate in the Mountain West Hockey League, a Senior A Minor full-check league.
In the opener, Aspen lost, 9-8, in high-scoring, spirited game.
Salt Lake City scored six goals in the final half of the third period to rally for the victory in Aspen.
Four minutes into the third period, goals scored by Geoff Lubin and Yale Lewis pushed Aspen's lead to 8-3.
Adam Bartholomew, of the Golden Eagles, scored four of the Eagles next six goals, with Charleton Gunner scoring the game-winning goal for the visitors from Salt Lake City.
Recommended Stories For You
In the second matchup on Saturday night, the Aspen Leafs scored early and rolled past Salt Lake City, 10-3.
All of the Golden Eagles goals came late in the third period.
Aspen's goalie Henrik Persson and the Aspen defense shut down the Golden Eagles in the first two periods.
The Aspen Leafs (1-3) will return to home ice against Boulder on Dec. 20 and Dec. 21.
The Dec. 20 game will start at 8:15 p.m.
The Dec. 21 game is set to start at 7 p.m.
Both games will be at the Lewis Ice Arena at the Aspen Recreation Center (ARC).
Aspen had opened the season with a pair of losses on the road to the Vail Yeti.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain