Aspen Leafs hockey team returns to ice after break
December 1, 2016
After a week off, the Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team returns to the ice this weekend with a two-game series against the Steamboat Wranglers.
Friday's 7:30 p.m. game will be played at the Glenwood Springs Recreation Center, while Saturday's 7 p.m. game will be played at the Aspen Ice Garden. It will be the Leafs first and only game at the Ice Garden this season.
Aspen went to its break second in the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League with an 8-7-1 record. Steamboat, in its first season of existence, is 5-9-1 entering the weekend. The teams have met four times this season — twice in Steamboat, twice in Aspen — with the Leafs holding a 3-0-1 record.
Aspen is still chasing the Pikes Peak Miners, which remains unbeaten at 18-0 entering Friday's game against the Colorado Rampage. The Rampage are 4-11 overall, with the Colorado Thunderbirds holding down last place in the RMJHL at 3-11.
The Leafs plays six games this month, four against Steamboat and two against the Thunderbirds.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman