Aspen Leafs hockey team returns to ice after break
December 1, 2016
After a week off, the Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team returns to the ice this weekend with a two-game series against the Steamboat Wranglers.
Friday's 7:30 p.m. game will be played at the Glenwood Springs Recreation Center, while Saturday's 7 p.m. game will be played at the Aspen Ice Garden. It will be the Leafs first and only game at the Ice Garden this season.
Aspen went to its break second in the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League with an 8-7-1 record. Steamboat, in its first season of existence, is 5-9-1 entering the weekend. The teams have met four times this season — twice in Steamboat, twice in Aspen — with the Leafs holding a 3-0-1 record.
Aspen is still chasing the Pikes Peak Miners, which remains unbeaten at 18-0 entering Friday's game against the Colorado Rampage. The Rampage are 4-11 overall, with the Colorado Thunderbirds holding down last place in the RMJHL at 3-11.
The Leafs plays six games this month, four against Steamboat and two against the Thunderbirds.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Mikaela Shiffrin finally conquers elusive giant slalom in Italy for 53rd career win
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Briefs Jan. 15: Aspen boys, girls basketball sweeps Vail Mountain