Aspen Leafs hockey team returns to ice after break
December 1, 2016
After a week off, the Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team returns to the ice this weekend with a two-game series against the Steamboat Wranglers.
Friday's 7:30 p.m. game will be played at the Glenwood Springs Recreation Center, while Saturday's 7 p.m. game will be played at the Aspen Ice Garden. It will be the Leafs first and only game at the Ice Garden this season.
Aspen went to its break second in the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League with an 8-7-1 record. Steamboat, in its first season of existence, is 5-9-1 entering the weekend. The teams have met four times this season — twice in Steamboat, twice in Aspen — with the Leafs holding a 3-0-1 record.
Aspen is still chasing the Pikes Peak Miners, which remains unbeaten at 18-0 entering Friday's game against the Colorado Rampage. The Rampage are 4-11 overall, with the Colorado Thunderbirds holding down last place in the RMJHL at 3-11.
The Leafs plays six games this month, four against Steamboat and two against the Thunderbirds.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company