Aspen Leafs hockey splits with Steamboat in final series before break
December 18, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team split with the Steamboat Wranglers over the weekend, its final games before going on a short holiday hiatus.
Friday at Howelsen Ice Arena in Steamboat Springs, the Leafs lost to the newest member of the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League, 6-1. It snapped a three-game win streak for Aspen. The Leafs got a first-period goal from Cory Kane, but put up little resistance after that.
Saturday, the Leafs rebounded with a 5-3 victory, which included three first-period goals. Jesus Barrera-Garcia had two goals for Aspen, while Jarrett McDonald, Viacheslev Goev and Brett Hawkins each had one.
Aspen (12-9-1 overall) remains in second place in the RMJHL, while Pikes Peak (20-2) continues to be the class of the league. Steamboat is in third at 8-12-1, followed by the Colorado Rampage (6-13) and Colorado Thunderbirds (4-14).
The Leafs are off until they host the Rampage on Jan. 6 at Lewis Ice Arena.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Aspen man, 78, finally completes the Continental Divide Trail after 35 years
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites