Aspen Leafs hockey splits with Steamboat in final series before break
December 18, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team split with the Steamboat Wranglers over the weekend, its final games before going on a short holiday hiatus.
Friday at Howelsen Ice Arena in Steamboat Springs, the Leafs lost to the newest member of the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League, 6-1. It snapped a three-game win streak for Aspen. The Leafs got a first-period goal from Cory Kane, but put up little resistance after that.
Saturday, the Leafs rebounded with a 5-3 victory, which included three first-period goals. Jesus Barrera-Garcia had two goals for Aspen, while Jarrett McDonald, Viacheslev Goev and Brett Hawkins each had one.
Aspen (12-9-1 overall) remains in second place in the RMJHL, while Pikes Peak (20-2) continues to be the class of the league. Steamboat is in third at 8-12-1, followed by the Colorado Rampage (6-13) and Colorado Thunderbirds (4-14).
The Leafs are off until they host the Rampage on Jan. 6 at Lewis Ice Arena.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division