Aspen Leafs hockey splits with Steamboat in final series before break
December 18, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team split with the Steamboat Wranglers over the weekend, its final games before going on a short holiday hiatus.
Friday at Howelsen Ice Arena in Steamboat Springs, the Leafs lost to the newest member of the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League, 6-1. It snapped a three-game win streak for Aspen. The Leafs got a first-period goal from Cory Kane, but put up little resistance after that.
Saturday, the Leafs rebounded with a 5-3 victory, which included three first-period goals. Jesus Barrera-Garcia had two goals for Aspen, while Jarrett McDonald, Viacheslev Goev and Brett Hawkins each had one.
Aspen (12-9-1 overall) remains in second place in the RMJHL, while Pikes Peak (20-2) continues to be the class of the league. Steamboat is in third at 8-12-1, followed by the Colorado Rampage (6-13) and Colorado Thunderbirds (4-14).
The Leafs are off until they host the Rampage on Jan. 6 at Lewis Ice Arena.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche
- Local arrested on FBI warrant over emails