Aspen knocks off an unbeaten 1-0
May 13, 2002
The No. 11-seed Aspen High girls soccer team shut out an undefeated opponent Friday to advance to the final eight of the Class 3A state playoffs.
The Skiers, now 9-5, scored a 1-0 victory over No. 6 Academy of Charter, now 15-1, Friday night in Denver to move into the tournament’s “great eight.” It was a well-earned win, said AHS co-coach Grant “Junior” Sutherland.
“We went in with a game plan and stuck to it,” he said. “We definitely outplayed them – we just had more scoring opportunities than they did.”
Aspen was only able to capitalize on one of those opportunities, however. Senior Lacee Patterson scored the team’s only goal early in the first half.
“We dominated from start to finish,” Sutherland said. “The girls were fantastic – it could have easily been a 4-0 or 5-0 game. It was a solid performance from the whole team.”
Making her first start of the season in place of injured sophomore Merritt Gates (concussion), freshman goalie Lauren Wenzel recorded the shutout.
Recommended Stories For You
Aspen will face No. 3 Denver Christian (11-4) Tuesday at 4 p.m. for the right to advance to the final four. As the higher seed, Denver Christian is hosting the match.
@ATD Sub heds:Basalt hosts
@ATD body copy: The Basalt High School girls soccer team scored an 8-0 victory in the first round of the playoffs Thursday. The team is expected to host the winner of Saturday’s D’Evelyn (10-4-1) vs. Fountain Valley (11-3) game this afternoon, though BHS coach Heather Walker could not be reached on Sunday.
For the latest information about the opponent and kickoff time, call Basalt High at 384-5959.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Shiffrin scales back schedule to avoid more fatigue, to skip upcoming downhills
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Friends support local furloughed Forest Service worker whose son was born with cystic fibrosis