Aspen High School hockey falls to No. 3 Valor Christian in state quarterfinals
February 24, 2018
The Aspen High School hockey team's season came to an end Saturday with a 4-2 loss to No. 3 seed Valor Christian in the quarterfinal round of the state tournament.
The No. 11 seed Skiers trailed by only a goal late before Valor scored an empty-netter to finish the game, played at The Ice Ranch in Littleton.
The Skiers got to the quarterfinals after beating No. 22 Ralston Valley 6-3 in the first round and then upsetting No. 6 Heritage 4-1 on Friday.
Aspen finishes the season with a 14-5-3 overall record. Valor Christian moves onto the state semifinals against No. 2 seed Monarch. In the other semifinal, No. 1 Regis Jesuit will play No. 13 seed Chaparral, which pulled off an 8-5 quarterfinal upset of No. 5 Steamboat Springs.
The state quarterfinals will be played Thursday at the Pepsi Center in Denver.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Shake-up at Aspen Skiing Co. over alleged retail racket
- No damage after small quakes north of Glenwood
- City of Aspen slams on brakes with Lyft contract
- Aspen School District taking measures to remove human resources director
- Developer to city of Aspen: $150M in tax revenue to come in if base of mountain is redeveloped