Aspen High hockey falls to Air Academy
December 13, 2014
Special teams ruled the ice Saturday in Aspen.
Visiting Air Academy High School scored on a power play late in the second period for the only goal in a 1-0 victory over Aspen at the Lewis Ice Arena.
The Kadets, more significantly, killed off extended Aspen power-play opportunities, including a 41/2-minute stretch in the second period and a 5-minute span in the third.
Anthony Ciolli broke the scoreless tie with 36.6 seconds to play in the second period, blasting a slap shot from the blue line.
The Skiers threatened with a barrage of early opportunities, including shots from Harry Ferguson, Ryan Fitzgerald and Trey Robinson.
But Kadets goalie Jason Stolz turned back all 18 Aspen shots on goal.
Recommended Stories For You
Evan Morris turned back 18 Air Academy shots, including a diving save midway through the final period, bringing the home fans to their feet.
Air Academy improved to 4-1. Aspen evened its record at 2-2.
The Skiers will host Cherry Creek on Friday and Regis Jesuit next Saturday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases