Aspen High hockey falls to Air Academy
December 13, 2014
Special teams ruled the ice Saturday in Aspen.
Visiting Air Academy High School scored on a power play late in the second period for the only goal in a 1-0 victory over Aspen at the Lewis Ice Arena.
The Kadets, more significantly, killed off extended Aspen power-play opportunities, including a 41/2-minute stretch in the second period and a 5-minute span in the third.
Anthony Ciolli broke the scoreless tie with 36.6 seconds to play in the second period, blasting a slap shot from the blue line.
The Skiers threatened with a barrage of early opportunities, including shots from Harry Ferguson, Ryan Fitzgerald and Trey Robinson.
But Kadets goalie Jason Stolz turned back all 18 Aspen shots on goal.
Recommended Stories For You
Evan Morris turned back 18 Air Academy shots, including a diving save midway through the final period, bringing the home fans to their feet.
Air Academy improved to 4-1. Aspen evened its record at 2-2.
The Skiers will host Cherry Creek on Friday and Regis Jesuit next Saturday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- She Said, He Said: What makes Aspen the divorce capital of Colorado?
- Another winter storm expected to hit Aspen, Snowmass area Monday
- Aspen’s Alex Ferreira, Torin Yater-Wallace soar into Olympic ski pipe finals
- Mutual fund plummet blamed on Aspen homeowner’s firm
- Talk will expose sex trafficking’s reach into Aspen