Aspen High golf continues hot start to season, wins Eagle Valley invite on Monday
August 15, 2017
The Aspen High School boys golf team continues to roll early on.
Monday at the Eagle Valley Devils Invitational at Gypsum Creek Golf Course, the Skiers made it three wins in three tournament tries this fall. Aspen shot 231 to win the tournament by six strokes over Gunnison, led by junior Dawson Holmes, who shot 74 to tie for second place.
Eagle Valley's Barrett Jones won the invite with an even par 72.
The Skiers also won the junior varsity portion of the tournament, winning by three strokes over Gunnison. Senior Henry Ferguson led the JV team with a 78.
Aspen played again Tuesday at the Holy Family Stableford Invitational, a points-based format opposed to standard stroke scoring. The Skiers finished third, falling behind only powerhouse programs Peak to Peak and Kent Denver, the reigning 3A state champion.
AHS is scheduled to compete again Wednesday in a tournament hosted by Kent Denver at Saddle Rock Golf Course.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Aspen-Basalt basketball should be fun
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Update: Winter storm watch in effect until Friday, up to 14 inches of snow predicted
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Carbondale man pleads guilty to attempted sex with a 7-year-old girl
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’