Aspen High golf continues hot start to season, wins Eagle Valley invite on Monday
August 15, 2017
The Aspen High School boys golf team continues to roll early on.
Monday at the Eagle Valley Devils Invitational at Gypsum Creek Golf Course, the Skiers made it three wins in three tournament tries this fall. Aspen shot 231 to win the tournament by six strokes over Gunnison, led by junior Dawson Holmes, who shot 74 to tie for second place.
Eagle Valley's Barrett Jones won the invite with an even par 72.
The Skiers also won the junior varsity portion of the tournament, winning by three strokes over Gunnison. Senior Henry Ferguson led the JV team with a 78.
Aspen played again Tuesday at the Holy Family Stableford Invitational, a points-based format opposed to standard stroke scoring. The Skiers finished third, falling behind only powerhouse programs Peak to Peak and Kent Denver, the reigning 3A state champion.
AHS is scheduled to compete again Wednesday in a tournament hosted by Kent Denver at Saddle Rock Golf Course.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen football wraps up non-league play at Grand Valley, BHS at Paonia
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility