Aspen High boys tennis serves for success
September 30, 2014
The Aspen High School boys tennis team celebrated senior day with another dual match victory.
The Skiers, unbeaten in duals this season, stepped up in tennis competition last weekend when Alexander Dawson School from the Boulder area visited Aspen.
Aspen eventually won 4-2 in a back-and-forth dual against the private school. Rain halted the final match.
Seniors and No. 1 doubles players Dylan Behr and Gordon Carr won 6-1, 6-1 to finish the season undefeated in dual matches.
Another big win for the Skiers came from senior Cooper Helm at No. 2 doubles along with Andy Vernier. They pulled out a tough 6-4, 7-5 victory.
Also collecting wins last weekend were No. 1 singles player Dillon Leasure (6-3, 6-2) and No. 2 singles player Henry Godfrey (6-2 2-6, 6-2).
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen High School boys tennis team, coached by Gary Quant of Aspen Golf and Tennis, will travel to Grand Junction today to defend their team title in the Regional Championships at Colorado Mesa University.
Any player who reaches the finals in their division at regionals will advance to the State Tennis Championships on Oct. 9-11 at Pueblo City Park.
Aspen 4, Alexander Dawson 2
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (A) def. Azure Ali (AD) 6-3, 6-2
No. 2 singles: Henry Godfrey (A) def. Connor Larson (AD) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
No. 3 singles: Zach Rinard (AD leading Keegan Mehall (A) 6-2, 4-6, 5-2 before rain halted the match
No. 1 doubles: Dylan Behr/Gordon Carr (A) def.Jackson Ileal/Jake Blank (AD) 6-1, 6-1
No. 2 doubles: Andy Vernier/Cooper Helm (A) def. Max mcCellan/Cade McClelland (AD) 6-4, 7-5
No. 3 doubles: Ben HOusan/ Skyler D'Apuzzo (AD) def. William Reagan/David Mondry(A) 6-4, 6-4
No. 4 doubles: Gavin Pure/Seth Clemente (AD) def. Gage Carr/Victor Dunn (A) 6-1, 6-1
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance