Aspen High baseball strikes out Grand Valley
April 17, 2002
The Aspen High baseball team topped Grand Valley 15-8 Tuesday in El Jebel.
Aspen used six different pitchers in an effort to try different players on the mound, and junior Nick Farrell, the regular centerfielder, got his first career win based on an inning of work in the third. Senior ace Eddie Monge worked the final inning for a save.
Aspen scored seven runs in its first at-bat and remained comfortably ahead throughout, coach Rick Ryan said.
Aspen’s Phil Salazar was 3-for-4 with three RBIs, Stephen White was 2-for-3 and Jeff Brence and Pete MacKellar both went 2-for-4.
Aspen improved to 4-9 on the season.
On Thursday, Aspen travels to Craig to face Moffat County. Then Saturday, Aspen hosts its first game of the season in Aspen – weather permitting, of course – against downvalley rival Roaring Fork in a double-header at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border