Aspen High boys golf solid in two tournaments at Grand Junction
August 30, 2017
The Aspen High School boys golf team competed Monday and Tuesday in a two-day swing of Grand Junction, playing at Bookcliff Country Club and Tiara Rado golf course.
Monday at the Grand Junction Tiger Invitational at Bookcliff, the Skiers took fifth out of 16 teams, led by junior Colter Zwiegs' sixth-place 76. Grand Junction's Canon Olkowski shot 68 to win the tournament, while Montrose took the team title.
Tuesday at the Central Warrior Invitational at Tiara Rado, senior Carter Hall led the way, shooting 71 for his best round of the fall. He finished third overall, three strokes behind Montrose's Micah Stangebye. According to assistant coach Don Buchholz, Hall had 43 putts during Monday's round but "greatly improved" on Day 2.
Aspen's Dawson Holmes finished a shot back of Hall. Basalt's Blake Exelbert led the Longhorns, finishing five back of Stangebye.
The Skiers shot 219 as a team to finish second out of 20 teams at Tiara Rado, four shots back of Montrose. Basalt finished fifth, 17 shots back of Montrose.
Aspen next plays Tuesday at Vail Golf Club.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday