Aspen Golf Club tees it up Saturday
April 3, 2002
After an astonishingly fast melt, the Aspen Golf Club plans to open for the season, in limited fashion, on Saturday morning.
Only the back nine holes (10 through 18) will be open for play on Saturday. Course officials expect the entire course to open in about two weeks, as well as the driving range and the brand-new clubhouse.
“Last week, I was watching cross country skiers going around on the course, and now there’s no snow,” said Steve Aitken, director of golf operations at the Aspen Golf Club. “It’s scary, that’s pretty quick. Usually it’s early April, but we thought it’d be longer based on all the snow we had.”
On Saturday, tee times will be available on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 8:30 a.m., Aitken said. After Saturday, golfers may call 925-2145 to book tee times.
Two types of season passes are available at the Aspen Golf Club: a $350 punch pass good for 20 rounds of 9 holes (or 10 rounds of 18), and an unlimited season pass for $700 (or $640 for employees of ACRA-member businesses). Golfers may opt for the punch pass and upgrade to a full pass later at the cost of a second punch pass, or $350, Aitkin said. Passes are available at the Red Brick Building in Aspen.
For non-pass holders, early season greens fees cost $20 for 9 holes or $40 for 18.
Recommended Stories For You
Golfers need to check in at the old golf shop until the new clubhouse is completed sometime in mid-April, Aitken said. “It’s really coming along nicely,” he said. “It’s in the right spot, near the first tee and the 18th green, and we’ve got a deck and everything.”
Aitken said the front 9 holes should open around April 17. “It’s based on some construction issues going on with the new clubhouse, but it’ll be about ten days after Saturday, weather contingent of course.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director