Gents, Dark ‘N Stormy Misfits back in Ruggerfest final for fourth year
September 15, 2018
For the fourth straight year, the Gentlemen of Aspen Rugby Club will face the Dark 'N Stormy Misfits in the Aspen Ruggerfest open division finals on Sunday.
The Misfits won the 2017 finale 50-22 — coming on the 50th anniversary of the popular rugby tournament — and won 47-20 in 2016. The Gents won the 2015 contest 51-27, the last time they won their home tournament. Prior to that, Aspen hadn't won since 2009.
Both teams went 2-0 in pool play Saturday to reach the semifinals. There, Aspen beat the Utah Misfits, 38-3, while Dark 'N Stormy beat the Denver Barbarians, 34-12. The teams did not play each other on Saturday.
Sunday’s open division finale is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Wagner Park in downtown Aspen.
In the women's division, which also got underway Saturday, the Sunday finale will be the Salt Lake City Sister Wives against the Denver Black Ice. The Sister Wives went 4-0 in pool play, outscoring opponents 133-12 in those four matches. The Black Ice went 2-2 in pool play, including a 19-12 loss to the Sister Wives. The SLC squad shut out its other three opponents.
The women's final is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. at Wagner Park.
Recommended Stories For You
The 2:45 p.m. master's division (35 and up) final will be between Time and the Dark 'N Stormy Misfits at Wagner. The Gents master's side will face the Glendale Old Boys at 11:15 a.m. at Rio Grande Park in the third-place match.
The Old Boys 45s final (12:15 p.m., Wagner) will be between the Dark 'N Stormy Misfits and the Olympic Rugby Club. The Old Boys 50s final (11:15 a.m., Wagner) features the Cardinals against the KC Blues Brothers, while the Old Boys 55s final (10:15 a.m., Wagner) is between the Cardinals and the Dark 'N Stormy Misfits.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Willoughby: The split personality of Aspen Mountain’s Spar Gulch
- How to see the super blood wolf moon on Sunday