Aspen Cycling Club heads up Spring Gulch
August 28, 2013
The Aspen Cycling Club gets back on the road today.
The weekly club race will be the Spring Gulch Hill Climb at Carbondale, starting at 6 p.m. today.
The Spring Gulch Hill Climb, which takes riders up near the Spring Gulch Cross Country Ski Area, will start near the entrance to Colorado Rocky Mountain School, close to the Crystal River.
"To get to the start and CRMS, take Highway 133 south to Main Street at the 7-Eleven intersection," Aspen Cycling Club president Mike Maple said. "Proceed 1.1 miles onto County Road 106. Please use the pullouts on Thompson Creek Road, just past CRMS, for parking."
He said the Aspen Cycling Club, as always, encourages carpooling for today's race.
The start will be a neutral roll out from the bend near CRMS with racing going live after crossing the bridge and Crystal River Road intersection, just before the base of the climb, Maple said
Recommended Stories For You
The finish line is 6 miles from the start at the dirt pullout on the right side of the road at Spring Gulch. The course averages over 6 percent grade and gains 1,500 feet.
"The road flattens out with about a half-mile to go and then kicks up to about 4 percent to the finish line," Maple said.
There is no center line on this county road, Maple said, so riders will need to be respectful of the rules and act accordingly.
"The road surface is chip-and-seal with abundant wildlife," Maple said. "So be careful on the way down."
Additional course marshals are needed to assist with today's race.
To volunteer, email Mouse at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 970-618-4626.
"All area riders are encouraged to come out and race," Maple said. "Advance registration is not required."
Cyclists can register and pay at the start between 5 and 5:50 p.m.
Entry fees are $5 for Aspen Cycling Club members and $10 for nonmembers.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border