Aspen Cup Nordic Series to open Sunday
December 31, 2014
The Aspen Cup Nordic Series will glide into a new season Sunday.
The cross country ski racing series, sponsored by the Ute Mountaineer, will kick into the new year with a classic-style race on Sunday on the Nordic trails at Aspen High School.
The 15-kilometer race will start at 10 a.m. Sunday. Registration will be held the morning before the race at the Aspen Valley Ski Club Clubhouse adjacent to Aspen High School.
Entry fee is $15 for adults, $7 for juniors.
The Aspen Cup Nordic Series will resume on Saturday, Jan. 24, with the XC Games Team Sprints, a night skating race with a 6 p.m. start.
Two-person teams will do relays on a 1-kilometer loop for a race total of 6K.
Recommended Stories For You
There also will be a kids team relay of 2K.
The event will be staged at the Aspen Cross Country Center at the Aspen Golf Course. Registration will be at the start/finish.
The next event in the series will be held at the Spring Gulch Cross Country Ski Trails outside Carbondale on Sunday, Feb. 1. It will be a 10K skate race with a 10 a.m. start.
A biggie on the winter calendar — the Owl Creek Chase 21K Classic — is set for Sunday, Feb. 15. It will take skiers from the Snowmass Cross Country Center to the AVSC Clubhouse, following the Owl Creek Trail.
This event is organized by Aspen Parks and Recreation as part of the Aspen Nordic Festival. Registration is available online at owlcreekchase.com.
The annual Ski for the Pass benefit will be held Sunday, Feb. 22, to raise money for the Independence Pass Foundation. The 7K classic race goes up the pass from the winter closure on Highway 82.
Finish is at Lincoln Creek Road.
Mass start will include skiers, families and children. There are racing and touring categories.
The series' wrap will be the 45th annual Silverboom Race and Barbecue, planned for Sunday, March 8.
The event will include 5K, 10K and 20K state-skiing events at the Snowmass Cross Country Center.
The traditional end-of-season barbecue and awards program will be held after the Silverboom races.
For more information, visit utemountaineer.com.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche