Aspen Cup Nordic Series to open Sunday
December 31, 2014
The Aspen Cup Nordic Series will glide into a new season Sunday.
The cross country ski racing series, sponsored by the Ute Mountaineer, will kick into the new year with a classic-style race on Sunday on the Nordic trails at Aspen High School.
The 15-kilometer race will start at 10 a.m. Sunday. Registration will be held the morning before the race at the Aspen Valley Ski Club Clubhouse adjacent to Aspen High School.
Entry fee is $15 for adults, $7 for juniors.
The Aspen Cup Nordic Series will resume on Saturday, Jan. 24, with the XC Games Team Sprints, a night skating race with a 6 p.m. start.
Two-person teams will do relays on a 1-kilometer loop for a race total of 6K.
Recommended Stories For You
There also will be a kids team relay of 2K.
The event will be staged at the Aspen Cross Country Center at the Aspen Golf Course. Registration will be at the start/finish.
The next event in the series will be held at the Spring Gulch Cross Country Ski Trails outside Carbondale on Sunday, Feb. 1. It will be a 10K skate race with a 10 a.m. start.
A biggie on the winter calendar — the Owl Creek Chase 21K Classic — is set for Sunday, Feb. 15. It will take skiers from the Snowmass Cross Country Center to the AVSC Clubhouse, following the Owl Creek Trail.
This event is organized by Aspen Parks and Recreation as part of the Aspen Nordic Festival. Registration is available online at owlcreekchase.com.
The annual Ski for the Pass benefit will be held Sunday, Feb. 22, to raise money for the Independence Pass Foundation. The 7K classic race goes up the pass from the winter closure on Highway 82.
Finish is at Lincoln Creek Road.
Mass start will include skiers, families and children. There are racing and touring categories.
The series' wrap will be the 45th annual Silverboom Race and Barbecue, planned for Sunday, March 8.
The event will include 5K, 10K and 20K state-skiing events at the Snowmass Cross Country Center.
The traditional end-of-season barbecue and awards program will be held after the Silverboom races.
For more information, visit utemountaineer.com.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- What’s the Big Deal: Snowmass condo sale nears $3.8 million