Aspen boys tennis wins Grand Junction tourney to open the season
August 26, 2017
The Aspen High School boys tennis team opened its season Thursday, playing at the Lowery Bishop Tournament in Grand Junction. The tournament concluded Saturday, with the Skiers finishing 4-1 in match play to win the tournament.
AHS defeated Durango twice (7-0 each time), Fruita Monument 6-1 and Fossil Ridge 5-2. Its only loss was a 4-3 defeat to Grand Junction.
Five players — Dillon Leasure, Jonah Kelly, David Zalinsky, George Ghali and Christian Kelly — all finished the tournament without a loss.
Player results from GJ tournament:
The Skiers next will host Grand Junction at 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club in a rematch of Saturday's tournament finale.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Aspen’s affordable housing program faces budget shortfall