Aspen boys tennis wins Grand Junction tourney to open the season
August 26, 2017
The Aspen High School boys tennis team opened its season Thursday, playing at the Lowery Bishop Tournament in Grand Junction. The tournament concluded Saturday, with the Skiers finishing 4-1 in match play to win the tournament.
AHS defeated Durango twice (7-0 each time), Fruita Monument 6-1 and Fossil Ridge 5-2. Its only loss was a 4-3 defeat to Grand Junction.
Five players — Dillon Leasure, Jonah Kelly, David Zalinsky, George Ghali and Christian Kelly — all finished the tournament without a loss.
Player results from GJ tournament:
The Skiers next will host Grand Junction at 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club in a rematch of Saturday's tournament finale.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Explosive Platte Valley too much for Basalt football in 2A quarterfinals
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items