Aspen boys tennis team wins regional championship
October 4, 2014
One, two, three.
Make it three in a row for the Aspen High School boys tennis team.
The Skiers won the title at the Class 4A Regional Championships on Saturday for the third consecutive year.
The Skiers, coached by Gary Quandt of the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club, won the Region 8 title in Grand Junction by squeaking out a 72-69 win over Steamboat Springs.
"We were down 56-52 after the first day," Quandt said. "And we had to win four of the six final matches against Steamboat Springs."
He said the Sailors provided tough competition.
Recommended Stories For You
"Steamboat put up a good fight, but we came up with big performances," Quandt said.
The Skiers won the first three matches in straight set wins by No. 2 singles player Henry Godfrey, No. 1 doubles Gordon Carr and Dylan Behr and the No. 3 doubles team of Willliam Reagan and David Mondry.
The No. 2 doubles team of Andy Vernier and Cooper Helm lost a tough three-set match, and No. 1 singles player Dillon Leasure lost his third set by a score of 6-4.
The regionals came down to the last match at No. 4 doubles.
Aspen's duo of Gage Carr and Victor Dunn pulled out a tense 6-4 win in the third set.
The Skiers qualified 10 players for the State Tennis Championships on Oct. 9-11 at Pueblo City Park. The Skiers were seventh in the state tournament last year.
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (2nd place)
No. 2 singles: Henry Godfrey (1st place)
No. 3 singles Keegan Mehall (3rd place)
No. 1 doubles: Dylan Behr & Gordon Carr (1st place)
No. 2 doubles: Andy Vernier & Cooper Helm (2nd place)
No. 3 doubles: David Mondry & William Reagan (1st place)
No. 4 doubles: Victor Dunn & Gage Carr (1st place)
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche