Aspen boys tennis team wins regional championship
October 4, 2014
One, two, three.
Make it three in a row for the Aspen High School boys tennis team.
The Skiers won the title at the Class 4A Regional Championships on Saturday for the third consecutive year.
The Skiers, coached by Gary Quandt of the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club, won the Region 8 title in Grand Junction by squeaking out a 72-69 win over Steamboat Springs.
"We were down 56-52 after the first day," Quandt said. "And we had to win four of the six final matches against Steamboat Springs."
He said the Sailors provided tough competition.
Recommended Stories For You
"Steamboat put up a good fight, but we came up with big performances," Quandt said.
The Skiers won the first three matches in straight set wins by No. 2 singles player Henry Godfrey, No. 1 doubles Gordon Carr and Dylan Behr and the No. 3 doubles team of Willliam Reagan and David Mondry.
The No. 2 doubles team of Andy Vernier and Cooper Helm lost a tough three-set match, and No. 1 singles player Dillon Leasure lost his third set by a score of 6-4.
The regionals came down to the last match at No. 4 doubles.
Aspen's duo of Gage Carr and Victor Dunn pulled out a tense 6-4 win in the third set.
The Skiers qualified 10 players for the State Tennis Championships on Oct. 9-11 at Pueblo City Park. The Skiers were seventh in the state tournament last year.
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (2nd place)
No. 2 singles: Henry Godfrey (1st place)
No. 3 singles Keegan Mehall (3rd place)
No. 1 doubles: Dylan Behr & Gordon Carr (1st place)
No. 2 doubles: Andy Vernier & Cooper Helm (2nd place)
No. 3 doubles: David Mondry & William Reagan (1st place)
No. 4 doubles: Victor Dunn & Gage Carr (1st place)
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner