Aspen boys tennis seventh at state
October 17, 2006
Aspen’s boys tennis team wrapped up its season Saturday with an impressive seventh-place finish at the 4A state tournament in Pueblo.
Sophomore King Koehler was the top individual finisher for the Skiers, falling in the No. 2 singles third-place match to Kent Denver’s Charlie Sayre in straight sets (7-5, 6-1).
Aspen also got a fourth-place finish from its No. 3 doubles tandem of junior Reese Hankins and freshman Kyle Feuer.
Feuer and Hankins were beaten handily in the third-place match by Cheyenne Mountain’s Ryan Pelton and Hemal Semwal in straight sets (6-0, 6-0).
Cheyenne Mountain just edged Kent Denver for the team title with 64 points to the Sun Devils’ 63. Broomfield was way back in third with 34 points, followed by Steamboat Springs ” Aspen’s top foe during the regular season ” in fourth with 25 points.
Mullen was fifth (24) and Thompson Valley was sixth (16) followed by the Skiers with 15 points.
Recommended Stories For You
Aspen was sixth after the second day of competition on Friday. Koehler fell to Cheyenne Mountain’s Brad Young (6-1, 6-2) in a semifinal match to set up the meeting with Sayre.
Aspen’s No. 3 singles player Ryan Dunn also fell in the semifinal round to Evergreen’s Greer Chaldekas (6-4, 6-1).
Hankins and Feuer also lost a tight semifinal match to Broomfield’s Mike McShane and Marc Roybal (6-3, 6-4).
For a complete wrap-up of Aspen’s tennis season, and an outlook for next year’s team, check back in The Aspen Times.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing