Aspen boys tennis beats Dawson School, finishes season perfect in duals
September 29, 2017
The Aspen High School boys tennis team defeated Alexander Dawson School 4-3 on Thursday in Lafayette to stay undefeated in dual matches this season. The matchup featured two teams that finished in the top five of state in Class 4A last fall.
"It was one of the closest matches we have had in a long time and it was good to see the underclassmen play well," AHS assistant coach Steve Sands said.
The Skiers took the top two singles matches. No. 1 Dillon Leasure beat Riley Burridge, 6-4, 6-2, and No. 2 Alex Ilic beat Carter Holbrook, 7-6, 6-4. Dawson's Connor Larson beat Aspen's No. 3, Gabriel Suarez, 7-6, 7-6.
Aspen's wins at doubles came at No. 2 and No. 4. Christian Kelly and George Ghali won 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 at No. 2, while Bryce Cordts-Pearce and Lukee Tralins won 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 4.
Aspen ends the regular season a perfect 10-0 in dual matches. AHS even won the lone tournament it played in.
The Skiers head to the regional tournament in Grand Junction next week.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman