Aspen High boys soccer left out of 3A state tournament despite RPI ranking
October 22, 2017
Despite finishing the regular season ranked No. 31 in RPI, the Aspen High School boys soccer team wasn't selected to compete in the 32-team Class 3A state tournament when the field was announced on Sunday.
The Skiers finish the season with a record of 7-5-3 overall. AHS went 4-1-3 in 3A Western Slope League play to finish fourth. This is the second-consecutive season Aspen hasn't made the postseason.
While seeding is largely determined by the rating percentage index, where a team finishes in its respective league standing is taken into account first, with certain league's receiving a set amount of automatic state qualifiers (of the 32 state qualified teams, 17 were automatic qualifiers and 15 chosen based on RPI).
For instance, No. 31 seed Lamar was picked ahead of Aspen despite its No. 34 RPI ranking because it tied atop the 3A Tri-Peaks 1 league and the top two teams in that league receive an automatic bid regardless of RPI. All told, the Tri-Peaks 1 league saw five of its seven teams make the state tournament.
Also making the tournament despite having a lower RPI than Aspen was No. 32 seed Beth Eden Baptist, which earned its league's lone automatic bid. Beth Eden Baptist finished No. 41 in RPI.
As expected, Basalt also did not make the postseason field. The Longhorns finished the regular season 5-9-1 overall and with an RPI of 43.
Recommended Stories For You
The 3A WSL had four teams make the state tournament. No. 15 seed Coal Ridge and No. 12 seed Delta earned the league's two automatic qualifiers, while No. 23 seed Roaring Fork and No. 28 seed Vail Mountain earned a spot via RPI.
Jefferson Academy (14-0-1) and three-time defending state champion Kent Denver (13-1-1) are the top two seeds, respectively, in the 3A state tournament.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain