Aspen beats Ignacio in football opener
August 30, 2013
The long road trip to Ignacio yielded a victory for the Aspen High School football team.
The Skiers, after the seven-hour bus trip to the Four Corners, kicked off their season with a 39-12 victory over the Class 1A Bobcats.
Aspen, after leading 18-0 at halftime, added three more scores in the second half of the season opener, played on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation.
Ignacio, of the Class 1A Southern Peaks league, scored twice in the second half.
The Skiers used a strong ground game in the season opener.
Recommended Stories For You
The Skiers used a strong ground game behind the rushing of Ryan Fitzgerald and quarterback Tyler Tick.
The game in Ignacio was a rematch of the season opener last year when the Bobcats visited Aspen, falling 56-0.
Aspen is seeking is seventh consecutive state playoff appearance under head coach Mike Sirko.
The Skiers will continue their pre-conference schedule next weekend with a game in Carbondale against Roaring Fork.
The Rams opened the season with a 13-0 victory at Basalt on Friday night.
The Aspen High School football team will open the Western League season with another long trip to south-central Colorado. The Skiers will play at Pagosa Springs on Sept. 13.
The Skiers will open the home season against powerhouse Bayfield, the defending league champion and another perennial state playoff qualifier.
The Wolverines were state runner-up in 2011; they lost in the state semifinals in 2012.
The AHS football team will host Olathe on Sept. 27 before hitting the road again on Oct. 4 with a trip to Gunnison.
Coal Ridge will visit Aspen for a league game on Oct. 11.
Aspen will play two state qualifiers from last year in the final two regular-season games.
The Skiers will play at Grand Valley on Oct. 18 before hosting rival Basalt on Oct. 25.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases