Aspen, Basalt boys soccer teams split weekend games on Front Range
September 2, 2017
The Basalt High School boys soccer team squared off against three-time defending Class 3A state champion Kent Denver on Saturday, losing 4-0 for its first loss of the season. The game was the final of the two-day, two-game Sun Devil Tournament, hosted by Kent Denver.
The Longhorns opened the tournament on Friday with a 2-1 overtime victory over Denver Christian. BHS beat Denver Christian twice in 2016, including a 4-2 win in the first round of the 3A state playoffs.
The Aspen High School boys soccer team also spent the weekend playing on the Front Range. The Skiers played at Jefferson Academy on Friday, losing 3-0. The Jaguars were the 3A state runner-up last year. Aspen then won 1-0 at Lutheran on Saturday for its first win. AHS (1-2 overall) will next play at Summit County on Tuesday. Basalt (2-1) is off until playing at Aspen on Thursday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Briefs: Basalt softball splits with Rifle, awaits Delta in key league games
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman