Aspen, Basalt finish 1-2 in golf regionals
September 29, 2015
The Aspen Skiers are going to state.
Likewise, the Basalt Longhorns.
The boys golf teams from Aspen and Basalt high schools finished first and second, respectively, in the Class 3A Regional Championships this week at Haymaker Golf Club in Steamboat Springs.
"It was a great day for us," Aspen head coach Mary Woulfe said after the Skiers won the regional title with a composite 244 on the long and imposing Haymaker course. "The course was playing hard for us, hard for everybody, with the length."
The regional course measured nearly 7,000 yards for the Class 3A prep players.
Dom Lanese and Will Hazen led the Skiers and the tournament as they dueled for 18 holes in Steamboat Springs.
Recommended Stories For You
They were virtually even until a tough late hole cost Hazen a pair of strokes.
"Will played a great round of golf. He just had that one bad hole. But that's golf," Woulfe said of Hazen, who finished second with an 81 on Tuesday. "Will really struck the ball well; he just couldn't score."
Lanese, a freshman, shot a 76 to take medalist honors among the Class 3A golfers at the event. A Class 4A qualifying tournament was held simultaneously with the 3A tourney.
Aspen freshman Jack Hughes shot an 87, and senior Burke Daily added a 91.
"Burke had a lot of bad luck, a lot of bad lies, strange bounces," Woulfe said. "Jack Hughes put up an amazing effort with the length of the course."
She said Hazen and Lanese were tired coming down the stretch at regionals.
"Dom was pretty steady out there," Woulfe said. "That's a cool thing about this team. We had two freshmen supporting two seniors."
The Skiers and the runner-up Longhorns qualified their teams for the Class 3A State Golf Championships at Eagle Ranch the first week of October.
Cedaredge and Vail Mountain School also earned berths in the state tournament, set near Eagle.
Basalt was second at regionals with a 253.
Drew Broadhurst carded an 82 to lead Basalt. Linc Kleager shot an 84.
Holden Kleager added an 87. And Tanner Korn shot a 94.
Lanese's 76 led all 3A players.
Peter Carlson of Cedaredge was next at 80. Hazen was third individually with his 81.
The prep golfers now will prepare for the state championships on Oct. 5-6 at Eagle Ranch.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border