Aspen, Basalt high school boys golf teams go 1-2 at Gypsum Creek
August 15, 2018
The Aspen High School boys golf team continued its early-season dominance by winning Wednesday's tournament at Gypsum Creek Golf Club. It is the Skiers' third tournament win in four attempts this season.
Aspen shot a collective 213 for the win, with Basalt finishing in second after shooting 226. The low medalist went to AHS senior Jack Hughes, who shot 67. Aspen freshman Nic Pevny and Basalt senior Holden Kleager each shot 71 to tie for second, with Pevny winning out via a tiebreaker.
Rounding out Aspen's scoring were senior Dawson Holmes (75), senior Dominic Lanese (78) and senior Colter Zwieg (88). Lanese had been the low medalist the first three tournaments of the fall. Rounding out Basalt's scoring were junior Blake Exelbert (77), sophomore Tyler Sims (78), freshman Kyle Murray (85) and senior Tyler Donnahan (94).
Aspen's junior varsity team took second in the tournament with 256, eight shots back of JV winner Battle Mountain.
Both Aspen and Basalt are off Thursday before the Skiers host their lone home tournament of the fall on Friday at Aspen Golf Club. Basalt is expected to compete.
Aspen boys tennis set to get season underway Thursday
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen High School boys tennis team will open the season Thursday at Grand Junction. The Skiers enter their first season under coach Steve Sand, a longtime assistant who also coached the AHS girls team in the spring.
Aspen's second match of the season is scheduled for Wednesday when it hosts Basalt, which is fielding a full varsity team for the first time this fall.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Danny Davis, POWDR team up for ‘Woodward Peace Park’ in VT, CA
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Local arrested on FBI warrant over emails
- Facts disputed in Aspen assault by social media star Cameron Dallas