AHS senior Alex Ilic is the ‘big winner’ at Aspen Tennis Club tournament
July 8, 2018
Alex Ilic was the "big winner" in the weekend's tournament hosted by the Aspen Tennis Club. The senior-to-be at Aspen High School won the men's open singles division of the Aspen for Animals tournament, beating Josh Wolman in the final, 6-2, 6-3. Ilic also won the men's open doubles division alongside teammate Dillon Leasure, a recent AHS graduate. They beat Ken Sawer and Thor Jensen in the final, 6-4, 6-4.
In the other men's division, Kevin Joseph took the 4.0 singles title with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Richard Boddicker in the final.
Wendy Whitman won the women's open singles title, while Sarah Kimsey and Danette Stephens won the women's open doubles division.
The tournament was a benefit for the Aspen Animal Shelter, and a handful of shelter pets were present during the matches. The Aspen Tennis Club will host two more tournaments this summer. The first is the Elks Lodge Junior Classic from Aug. 3-5, with the Aspen City Championships slated for Aug 17-19.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- ‘Like an angel’: Mikaela Shiffrin inspired by cancer-surviving fan
- AVSC’s Hanna Faulhaber making a name for herself after Revolution Tour win
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project