AHS senior Alex Ilic is the ‘big winner’ at Aspen Tennis Club tournament
July 8, 2018
Alex Ilic was the "big winner" in the weekend's tournament hosted by the Aspen Tennis Club. The senior-to-be at Aspen High School won the men's open singles division of the Aspen for Animals tournament, beating Josh Wolman in the final, 6-2, 6-3. Ilic also won the men's open doubles division alongside teammate Dillon Leasure, a recent AHS graduate. They beat Ken Sawer and Thor Jensen in the final, 6-4, 6-4.
In the other men's division, Kevin Joseph took the 4.0 singles title with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Richard Boddicker in the final.
Wendy Whitman won the women's open singles title, while Sarah Kimsey and Danette Stephens won the women's open doubles division.
The tournament was a benefit for the Aspen Animal Shelter, and a handful of shelter pets were present during the matches. The Aspen Tennis Club will host two more tournaments this summer. The first is the Elks Lodge Junior Classic from Aug. 3-5, with the Aspen City Championships slated for Aug 17-19.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman