AHS senior Alex Ilic is the ‘big winner’ at Aspen Tennis Club tournament
July 8, 2018
Alex Ilic was the "big winner" in the weekend's tournament hosted by the Aspen Tennis Club. The senior-to-be at Aspen High School won the men's open singles division of the Aspen for Animals tournament, beating Josh Wolman in the final, 6-2, 6-3. Ilic also won the men's open doubles division alongside teammate Dillon Leasure, a recent AHS graduate. They beat Ken Sawer and Thor Jensen in the final, 6-4, 6-4.
In the other men's division, Kevin Joseph took the 4.0 singles title with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Richard Boddicker in the final.
Wendy Whitman won the women's open singles title, while Sarah Kimsey and Danette Stephens won the women's open doubles division.
The tournament was a benefit for the Aspen Animal Shelter, and a handful of shelter pets were present during the matches. The Aspen Tennis Club will host two more tournaments this summer. The first is the Elks Lodge Junior Classic from Aug. 3-5, with the Aspen City Championships slated for Aug 17-19.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen hosting Ski Town Rugby Tournament Saturday at Wagner
- Aspen swimmers win their sixth straight WSL championship, head to state
- Colbert: The mystery that is cycling
- Winter Park man documents, coaches Afghanistan female ultra-runners
- Aspen Leafs hockey to host Mexican national teams during Fall Faceoff
- Lake Christine Fire grows nearly 800 acres, type 2 incident management team returning
- UPDATE: Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver
- Lake Christine Fire belches smoke plume, rattles nerves on hot day
- Car break-ins along Independence Pass lead to Aspen North Face fight, felonies