AHS senior Alex Ilic is the ‘big winner’ at Aspen Tennis Club tournament
July 8, 2018
Alex Ilic was the "big winner" in the weekend's tournament hosted by the Aspen Tennis Club. The senior-to-be at Aspen High School won the men's open singles division of the Aspen for Animals tournament, beating Josh Wolman in the final, 6-2, 6-3. Ilic also won the men's open doubles division alongside teammate Dillon Leasure, a recent AHS graduate. They beat Ken Sawer and Thor Jensen in the final, 6-4, 6-4.
In the other men's division, Kevin Joseph took the 4.0 singles title with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Richard Boddicker in the final.
Wendy Whitman won the women's open singles title, while Sarah Kimsey and Danette Stephens won the women's open doubles division.
The tournament was a benefit for the Aspen Animal Shelter, and a handful of shelter pets were present during the matches. The Aspen Tennis Club will host two more tournaments this summer. The first is the Elks Lodge Junior Classic from Aug. 3-5, with the Aspen City Championships slated for Aug 17-19.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River